[gtkmm] is opengl the correct solution?

Hello *,

I want to develop a Linux-based Application which should render an grayscale
(2d) image update on mouse-moves with a rate of about 10-20fps.
All rendering will be done by my own code. May I use just the gtk-- classes
to display the animated image-content or should I use opengl?
What widget should I use???
How fast is opengl in comparison to gtk?
Will it be easy to use nice rescale-functions if I'm forced to render
previews in low resolutions and want to display them in full-size?

Thanks for your help

Henning

Please reply to: Henning_Meyer gmx net

Henning Meyer
[Homer is applying for a job as a department store Santa Claus.]    Manager:
Do you like children?    Homer: What do you mean, all the time? Even when
they're nuts?