Re: [[gtkmm] New pangomm interface issue]

Am 31.08.2002 11:44 schrieb(en) Murray Cumming:
Naofumi Yasufuku <naofumi yasufuku net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In gtkmm-1.3.22, some pangomm interfaces have been changed, and so
> I'm faced with some problems.
>
> I want to call Pango::Font::get_matrics() with NULL language argument
> to indicate to get the metrics for the entire font.
> But I cannot do it because new interface requires a const reference to
> Language.
>
> pango C API allows pango_font_get_metrics(font, NULL), but pangomm
> doesn't allow it.
>
> I think Pango::Font should provide
>
>   FontMetrics Font::get_metrics()
>   {
>     return FontMetrics((pango_font_get_metrics(gobj(), 0)));
>   }
>
> to support pango C API specification completely.

Please wait with this change. In the process of documenting pangomm I
found that a default contructor for Pango::Language that creates an
invalid object (gobject_ = 0) is needed anyway. So this could also
be implemented with a default argument then:

Pango::Font::get_metrics(const Language& lang = Language())

What do you think is the better solution - Function overload or
default argument?

> There are same problems with other Pango:: classes. For example,
> pango_font_description_better_match(desc, NULL, new_match) can be
> called to determine if the style attributes of new_match are a match at
> all, but Pango::FontDescription doesn't provide such interface.

This sounds sensible. It seems like you are halfway to providing a
patch...

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net