[gtkmm] Installation -> sigc-config not found

Hello,

I tried to install gtkmm from source, but configure said, it can't find
sigc-config. Libsigc is already installed but no sigc-config came with
it. Libsigc's ChangeLog says (2002-04-17): "Removed sigc-config and
sigc++.m4. People should use pkg-config. We don't need 2 ways to do the
same thing"

Then I tried to create a symlink to pkg-config named sigc-config, but it
looks like pkg-config doesn't know the "--macros" parameter (or
something like that) which configure uses.

How the f*** do I install gtkmm ?