[gtkmm] how to get jpeg->drawing_area?

Hi, could someone please give me guidance on how to load
a jpeg file (created by Gdk::Pixbuf::save) into a drawing
area?
Here's a bit more info on what i need to do: basically i'm just
trying to record video and play it back. I'm using the function
Gdk::Drawale::draw_rgb_image(...) to draw my data to a
drawing area, at which point i draw a few of my own pixels,
get an image object with Gdk::Drawable::get_window()->get_image(),
put the data into a pixbuf with Gdk::Pixbuf::create(...) and save
it as a jpeg by Gdk::Pixbuf::save(...).  But i'm having real trouble
suggest a solution? I just need to load a jpeg into some form that
can be drawn to a gtkmm drawing_area.  Thanks very much,
Charlie