[gtkmm] gtk installation

I am preparing to install gtkmm 2.0. However, I can't
get gtk to install.  I did a ./configure with the
--without-libjpeg ande --without-libtiff options.
Then, when I run make, it tells me that it "failed to
load "./stock_add_16.png" Unable to load image-loading
module: ../../gtk-pixbuf/libpixbufloader-png.so..."
then finally it errors out.
I couldn't find the gtk mailing list, so I asked the
question here.

could someone please help me?

Sarah Leitner