Re: [gtkmm] "manage" and Glib::RefPtr

Daniel Bausch wrote:
You need no refcounting. Refcounting is a feature for programmers who spread pointers all over the program. There's no refcounting in standard C++ because the people who defined the standard are good software developers. I say: Before introducing such a horrible feature, organize your software! The programmer must have real control over the lib, not the lib over the programmer. The lib shall serve the programmer and not make him headaches, why some objects are not destroyed when he wants them to.

As far I can tell even Stroustrup introduces refcounting pointers to sanely implement polymorphic containers. He calls it a Handle. So this rant against refcounting is plain wrong.

Yours
   Christof