Re: [gtkmm] "manage" and Glib::RefPtr

Am Don, 2002-10-10 um 16.10 schrieb ERDI Gergo:
> On 10 Oct 2002, Daniel Elstner wrote:
>
> > just too late now.  That said, let me outline my proposal of sane memory
> > management:
> >
> > 1) use Glib::RefPtr<> for all widgets
> > 2) enforce 1)
>
> I thought the general opinion in Berlin about #2 was that it's a bad thing
> and a step backwards. In fact, if I wanted to sound like an asshole, I'd
> cite 5:1 against it :)

True, but I'm not proposing this for gtkmm2.  This is just my idea how
it should work.  The current code is way too complex -- I largely agree
with Guillaume about this point.  The flexibility has no practical
benefits at all.  Feel free to disagree ;)

So far I haven't heard any good arguments why we should keep the memory
management as fucked up as it is right now.  It seems to be all about
fear of being slapped by users for something that makes sense but is a
bit less convenient.

Saying that you're free to do your own memory management in gtkmm is a
downright lie IMHO.  Try to delete a widget that's still referenced
somewhere in GTK+ and see what happens.  The so-called flexibility
doesn't really exist.

Sorry for the rant -- just my 2 Euro cents,
--Daniel