Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [Re: [[gtkmm] technical question: GTKMM_LIFECYCLE]]]]]]]]

Am 03.10.2002 13:27 schrieb(en) Carl Nygard:
Then you should just throw up your hands and say "It ain't gonna be
consistent."  The base libraries are already inconsistent, so quit
trying to force it.

I thought it would be a good idea to make the behaviour 100% consistent
by slightly changing gtkmm to be more consistent in itself without
breaking any existing code. Neither did I expect that it would be so
hard to explain nor that I would hit such a sensitive nerve.

And if it's going to be inconsistent, then don't use the same function
names for wrapping different functionality.  There are different rules,
don't confuse the user with Gtk::manage() works this way and
Gst::manage() works that way.  Make it obviously different.

They work the same way internally but have a different consequence when
a container dies. If >2 people find this so confusing I will rename the
function but I don't believe that this is so pressing at the moment.

Regards,

  Martin