[gtkmm] Docs say that Eventbox is transparent -- doesn't appear to be so?

I've been using EventBox, and the docs say "The widget is transparent and
has no physical appearence."  This doesn't appear to be the case, as
modify_bg sets the background color, and if you don't it comes up as the
default, irregardless of the background of the window.

Now, I am using gtkmm-1.3.18 (out of date), but is this a documentation
error or a bug?

Thanks,

Alex Pavloff - apavloff eason com
Eason Technology -- www.eason.com