Re: [gtkmm] static linking

>>> Paul Davis <pbd op net> writes:
>
> > you can't link statically against GTK+ without a significant amount of
> > effort. i would abandon the effort. it has been discussed several
> > times on the gtk-list mailing list.
>
> Can you elaborate on that?  I searched thru gtk-list and found no
> significant discussion about this.  I even found a couple of posts
> stating that it works ok.  It seems to take the usual ammount of work
> (that is, figure yourself all the dependencies the dynamic linker
> figures for you)

from what i recall, there are some routines in some GTK+ related
libraries that rely on gtk_init() having been called when the library
is brought into the address space of the process. its possible with
static linking for this to not happen correctly, whereas with dynamic
linking, things work in a time-ordered fashion driven by the
application initiating certain function calls.

something like that, anyway. havoc and or owen recommended probably
not trying it for now, IIRC, saying that it was fragile and subject to
breakage by a variety of apparently trivial differences between
systems.

--p