[gtkmm] gtkmm library unreacheable by gnomemm ./configure ?

Hi Folk,
I just downloaded and installed gtkmm and i'm stompimg against a small
problem: gnomemm and other programs that use gtkmm complain that the gtkmm
library is missing or unreacheable. The ./configure script of gnomemm tells
me to change the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or to edit its config file in order to meet
the actual location of my gtkmm library. Unfortunately, it seems the gnomemm
./configure is already looking at the right path for the gtkmm executable
(that is /usr/lib/gtkmm/proc/gtkmmproc).

Can anybody tell me how to fix this problem?
Which is the right executable to look for? gtkmmproc? Another one?

Many thanks in advance.

Alessandro Bottoni

PS: I'm using the gtkmm 1.2.10 and gnome 1.2.2 tar.gz downloaded yesterday
from the gtkmm.sourceforge.net web site. My box is a Red hat 7.3.