[gtkmm] libsigc++/gtkmm on win32 - help?

Greetings, all. I need some compilation help.

I am trying to build and install libsigc++-1.2.2 on a Windows 2000 box,
with the intention of then doing the same for gtkmm-2.0.2.

I have installed MinGW-2.0.0-3 as well as Cygwin 1.3.18-1 (and related
programs from the Cygwin setup). The MinGW gcc and g++ executables come
before the Cygwin binaries in my path, and passing a -v flag to them in
the Cygwin shell shows that they are being called by 'gcc' and 'g++'.

I can compile libsigc++, and it passes all tests when I run 'make test',
but when I do a 'make install', I get the following error:

/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `.libs/libsigc-1.2.dll.a`: No such file or
directory

Why would the compilation generate libsigc-1.2.a, but not
libsigc-1.2.dll.a? Is there something I need to do to fix this? It seems
that without those files (this is an assumption), gtkmm cannot pass the
./configure script, as it (and pkg-config, for that matter) does not
recognize that libsigc++ has been installed.

Thanks,
~ellF~