[gtkmm] Can I make a key accel push the button in, or make a mnemonic not require ALT?

If you have a mnemonic on a button, and you use that, it (graphically)
simulates pressing the button.  However if you use a keyboard accel
instead, it does not simulate pressing the button down.  Is there anyway
to get it to visually simulate pressing the button down?

Basically I want a mnemonic that does not require pressing ALT at the
same time, so if there is a way to alter that behavior, that would be an
alternative solution.  But, the other way might make it so I didn't have
to actually have the button show the mnemonic as part of its label
(since an accel doesn't require the button to have any part of the accel
as its label).

And, yes I do realize this might make it quite hard for the user to know
which key to press to activate the button, but I might prefer to use
images instead of a label.

--

Mark
http://www.utdallas.edu/~mej017200/