[gtkmm] contolling screen updating in Layout widget

Hi,

I have a collection of widgets in a Layout container.  The user can drag them
around, so sometimes they overlap and go behind one another.  I want the user
to be able to bring a widget to the top by clicking on it.  The only way I
can see to do this is to remove the widget from the container and then put
it back again in the same place.  This works, but it causes a little flicker
because the screen gets drawn to after removing the widget as well as after
putting it back - so I was wondering if there's a way to temporarily switch
off drawing or buffer swiching or something while I move things around.  Or
is there a better way to approach what I'm attempting?

(gtkmm = 2.0.2)

thanks in advance,

Nathaniel.