[gtkmm] Mutexes

The Glib::Mutex classes are to replace gdk_threads_enter/leave? I mean, what mutex should I use to exclude a thread safely with the main GTK message queue? In the old fashion, there was a mutex taken automatically with each message iteration, so a call gdk_threads_enter() would let me in only when the main queue was idle, and thus ensuring I could do GTK calls safely from a different thread. How's that achieved these days?
Thank you,

Leandro Fanzone