[gtkmm] Undefined dynamic_cast_2 bulding gtkmm-1.2.10

I am having trouble building gtkmm-1.2.10 under RedHat 7.3.
I am using gcc 2.95.3. The library builds allright but linking
anything with the resultant library dies with
/usr/local/lib/libgtkmm.so: undefined reference to `__dynamic_cast_2'
This is very frustrating as I have 3 machines that donot have this
problem building the same program. One a laptop running RedHat 7.3
another a desktop running RedHat 7.2 and another Desktop running
RedHat 6.2. Also Staticly linking the branary works properly and
the resultant program works . Clues??

--
Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.
raw ushiva apk net