[gtkmm] TreeView questions

Hi,
I'm using the TreeView class and it's working very well for me, but there
are a couple of things I'd like to be able to do which perhaps someone can
help with:

1. Activate an editable cell with a single click of the mouse.

At the moment, (at least with my set-up) it requires two clicks, and with a
slight pause between them, ie not a double click.  The first click selects
the row, and the second the cell within it.  I don't need the concept of
selecting the row (or I could make a particular column of cells provide that
functionality).
This is a usability issue that the users of my app are
questioning/complaining about... The app requires them to enter and change
lots of numbers quickly, under tight time pressure.

Similarly when the cursor is moved into a cell using the arrow keys it isn't
made editable automatically.  But pressing the space bar makes it editable.
Could this also be made automatic?

2. Specify the background color of a cell such that it behaves in the
default manner.

Certain cells need to be highlighted when some condition is met, and I've
added a Gdk::Color column to the model.  I'm then adding this as an
attribute of the view column, eg:
   column->add_attribute(rendered->property_background_gdk(),
m_model.columns().highlightColor);

I'm setting this to a highlighted color when the condition is met, and it's
working fine.  But what should I set it to if I don't want the cell
highlighted?  If I set it to white, then it behaves differently from a cell
which has no background color set at all - in particular, the default
alternate row shading is overridden, and it looks inconsistent/ugly.

Perhaps I should be using styles, rather than explicitly setting colors.  Is
there any documentation/information about using styles with gtkmm?

thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Dan