[GtkGLExt] mouse click

Hello All, I am learning gtkglext and I try to program by adapting
examples/template.c. In my present program I try to make it redraw the
drawing area by using the key_press_event signal handler just as it is:
switch(event->keyval)
case GDK_a: toggle_animation(widget);
and this works fine: when I press key 'a' the drawing gets redrawn.
I want to do the same with a mouse-click, perhaps in a pop-up window, but
this I have not been able to do, in spite of many attempts. When I click in
the appropriate place, the mouse pointer gets very excited but the drawing
doesn't change. I'd be most grateful for any comments and/or advice.
Ivan.