Re: [GtkGLExt] Opengl rendering on image background

The way to do this in OpenGL is to load the background as a texturemap, map it to a rectangle, and the first thing you draw is that rectangle. I have to do this same thing, and I believe this is the only way.

I saw some documentation about an auxiliary buffer, but it turns out that most gfx cards do not implement this buffer (the idea being to load that buffer with your image data, and on each frame copy it to your back buffer).

Jerry Stahl wrote:
Hi,

I am new at using GtkGLExt/OpenGL and was wondering if
anyone knows if you can render OpenGL on top of a
static background image, such as a .png, jpg, etc.  I
have an application where I need to create a gui
containing a image background (a drawing) that will,
at times, have graphical objects moving over the top
of it.  I was hoping that I could use OpenGL to do the
object rendering over the image background.  Any help
or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

J. Stahl

__________________________________ Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday! Yahoo! Netrospective: 100 Moments of the Web http://birthday.yahoo.com/netrospective/