[GtkGLExt] gears stop rotating

Hi,

If I compile and run the gtkglextmm  demo  program
"gears" on my debian box,
then after a few hours the gears stop rotating (sometimes takes many hours,
but eventually this  happend-
the screen no longer updates of the rotating  of the gears and they appear
"frozen"

while the controlling console still "updates" with the supposed high value for
rotations/sec. Moreover the numbers displayed continue to change if you
change the size of the screen or cover the  non-rotating gears. Odd.

On the other hand I had the same behavior with the famous standard X
application
glxgears.

what causes this behavior?

I am curious...