Re: [GtkGLExt] Problems getting gtkglext to work under Cygwin

On 04.2.27 5:09 AM, "Douglas A. Vechinski" <douglas vechinski dynetics com>
wrote:

> I have an application that uses OpenGL, GTK+, and  GtkGLext that
> currently compiles and runs under Linux.  Several of my co-workers would
> like to use it under Windows. I am  now attempting to get a version that
> runs under Windows.  I would like to use the Cygwin environment to
> create/compile the Windows executable.  I want it to use the Windows
> API, that is I don't want to require the Cygwin Xserver.  Also, if
> possible I would like it to not depend upon the cygwin1.dll.
>
> It's been a while since I have used Cygwin much.  So I just installed
> the latest packages.  I didn't find and GTK+ packages at the standard
> mirros sites but found  atk, glib, pango, and gtk+ packages at
> http://web.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~s01397ms/cygwin and installed those.
>
> I have been able to compile and run the standard OpenGL Redbook
> examples.  Also, I have been able to compile and run some of the
> gtk-tutorial examples using `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-win32-2.0`
> on the compile line (also without the win32 under the Xserver) (although
> if I compile with -mno-cygwin and run the executable I get a runtime error).
>
> Next, I tried compiling GtkGLext under Cygwin.  I just did a ./configure
> followed by a make and a make install.  (I had 2 slight problems during
> the make.  I'll elaborate more if requested but I don't think they are
> related to my current problem).  However, I did have several warnings
> that may be related as shown below:
>
> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lglu32.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
> *** with libglu32 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
> *** using a file magic. Last file checked: /lib/w32api/libglu32.a
>
> *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
> ../gdk/libgdkglext-w
> in32-1.0.la.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
> libtool: link: warning: `/lib/libpangox-1.0.la' seems to be moved
>
> I received several of the warnings for -lglu32 -lopengl32 -lgdi32
> -luser32 -lkernel32 -lX11 but don't know if they are significant.

On win32, build process is bit complicated (see README.win32), so I would
strongly recommend using precompiled binary.

> Ok, finally, I then attempted to compile the simple.c example in
> GtkGLext.  (I added /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig to PKG_CONFIG_PATH).  I
> tried compiling with "gcc -o simple simple.c `pkgconfig --cflags --libs
> gtkglext-win32-1.0`"  I receive several  undefined references errors for
> _glFinish, _glDrawBuffer, _glReadBuffer etc, from
> /usr/local/lib/libgdkglext-win32-1.0.a
>
> I have also tried downloading the gtkglext-win32-1.0.5.zip file from
> sourceforge which I thought would be a precompiled version that I could
> use under Cygwin.  Unzipped the files in /usr/local.  I then try
> compiling siimple.c.  It compiled with no errors.  However when I tried
> executing it I get an error that it was unable to located
> libgdk-win32-2.0-0.dll.  There is a libgdk-win32-2.0.dll.a under /lib
> but it doesn't seem to work.

You have to set DLL path to PATH environment variable. If you are using
Tor's win32 GTK+ binary, DLLs are located under bin/ directory.

Regards,
--Naofumi