[GtkGLExt] Re: Pango rendering

>From: Tristan Van Berkom <vantr touchtunes com>
>
>      the performance hit is when you do gdk_draw_layout() and
>then gdk_drawable_get_image(), this means that you have to draw
>to an offscreen Pixmap in the X server memory and then download
>that image data.

With FreeType one may use pango_ft2_render_layout() which seem to
use a client side buffer.

In Pango, where outline fonts are located? Best fonts?
Where, e.g., arabic fonts are located?

>I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to acomplish, are you trying
>use prerendered glyphs to somehow deduce a relative 3D model, and then
>add textures?

I have multiple goals. Generating quads was just the fastest solution.
The texture and the curve/polyline outline fonts comes next.

gtkglext's text system did not help me for some reason. The text
went to bottom of the window only and size was a problem, if
I remember correctly.

With any of these text methods, I need to write code for transforming
points from local to screen space so that I get the text with the correct
aspect ratio or that I get a screen space text to correct screen position.

Juhana