Re: GtkGlArea and binding [was # Gtkglarea and Gtkglext]

At 20 Sep 2002 20:03:57 +0200,
Xavier Ordoquy wrote:

> Naofumi, I don't had enough time to test gtkglext. I don't get what it
> really is.
> imho Gtkglarea is just a gtk widget to display some opengl.
> GtkGlExt (tell me whether I'm wrong or not) rewrites gdk functions to
> display opengl and should be used in canvas or drawing area. Sounds that
> those are two differents approach of the same thing as kde/gnome
> vi/emacs and so on, isn't it ?

Uhmmm... That's just about right. But I think GtkGLExt and GtkGLArea
wouldn't be in conflict with each other.

GtkGLExt could provide the GDK drawing infrastructure for OpenGL
rendering which follows the GLX interface...

   < GDK >              < GLX >
  GdkGLConfig    <-->  GLXFBConfig
  GdkGLContext   <-->  GLXContext
  GdkGLDrawable  <-->  GLXDrawable
  GdkGLPixmap    <-->  GLXPixmap
  GdkGLWindow    <-->  GLXWindow

On the other hand, GtkGLArea could provide a GTK+ widget for
displaying OpenGL scene which likes GLw.

   < GTK+ >             < GLw >
  GtkGLArea      <-->  GLwDrawingArea

I hope these two projects cooperate with each other ;-)

Regards,
--Naofumi