[gtk-win32] Standarized jhbuild and gtk for win32 moduleset.

Hello there,
sorry for so much silence after the creation of this list, I wanted to have something working to explain what was my initial intention with this mailing list.

While I started the pygtk bundled installer, it was such a pain to deal with third party installers that I realized that the win32 releasing and packaging needed some love, but I wasn't sure of all the pieces implied and the people that I asked to join the list have all more experience than me building and deploying apps on win32 so I wanted to listen. But I've failed in first instance to explain what the disscusion was all about actually.

So I've decided to work on it, and I've ended up with a jhbuildrc and moduleset that anyone can use to build the whole stack from scratch. Why? Because up to know it was a mistery for me how to build it. I've used my ubuntu linux box with mingw32, the most painful part was the underlaying tools like zlib or libjpeg, but some patches and jhbuild have been enough to perform a succesful automated process.

What I wont this for? To provide a "standarized" way to package applications for windows, so ISV doesn't need to include the installers or play with the multiple .zip files around there to package it, also to let anyone release their own Gtk+ flavours. Summarizing, I wanted to let anyone to be able to package an installer like the gladewin32.sf.net one, which is right now, the most popular way to redistribute gtk on windows, and also, to find an easy way to others to add their app to the build so they produce a monolithic package.

The jhbuildrc, patches and the official moduleset can be grabbed from http://osl.ulpgc.es/~arc/gnome/gtk, for more info check my last post on my blog at http://aruiz.typepad.com/siliconisland/2007/05/gtkwin32_amateu.html, any kind of participation on this issue is more than welcome, I need to know what people think about this.
--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz