Re: Widgets overlap

Martyn Russell wrote:

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 15:11 +0200, Christophe HAUSER wrote:
Hello,

I would like to overlap two Gtk widgets, but I can't
find any suitable container.
An idea ?

Have you looked at the GtkLayout?

Someone mentioned GnomeCanvas; I haven't ever used the canvas so I dont know
specificly about the canvas but GtkLayout does not have any support for z-ordering.

From what I understand though: "widgets do not overlap in GTK+... period."

Few specifics I can think of off-hand that would make it difficult to overlap widgets: o GTK+ double-buffering mechanism would need to be adjusted probably for cases
      where both overlapping widgets are GTK_NO_WINDOW widgets
o Expose events would have to be handled by both child windows... also for GTK_NO_WINDOW
      widgets.
o The z-order of platform specific GdkWindow backends would have to be handled so
      that events are always delivered to the correct widget.

Cheers,
                                  -Tristan