Re: Menu problems in gtk apps

On 5/22/06, Alasdair McAndrew <amca01 gmail com> wrote:
I'm using Suse 10.0, with kde 3.4 as my desktop.  But I use quite a few
gtk-based apps: firefox, thunderbird, gaim, gqview and so on.  With each of
those I have a problem with the pull-down menus: the currently selected menu
item appears as white text on a very light grey background - anyway, it's
completely unreadable.  How do I change this behaviour; that is, change menu
colors?

This is a problem with the very annoying gtk theme engine suse install
by default to try to make GTK apps look like KDE apps.

Look through your list of installed packages and remove it. I forget
what it's called unfortunately :-( something like

 rpm -q -a | grep -i gtk | grep -i engine

should probably find it. You'll be back on the slightly chunky default
theme, but at least you'll be able to read menus. You could try
putting clearlooks on to make GTK programs a bit prettier.

Or maybe there's a better way?

John