Re: GtkEntry invisible char default question

On 3/22/06, Banginwar, Rajesh <rajesh banginwar intel com> wrote:
> Hi,
>         During the LSB desktop testing on Fedora we recently (FC5 test3
> and final release) found that there is a patch
> gtk+-2.8.10-set-invisible-char-to-bullet.patch added by Fedora
> developers. This patch is breaking some of our tests and hence the
> question.
>
> The patch is changing the default invisible character for GtkEntry to
> Unicode char 2022 (bullet character) instead of an asterisks. The Gtk
> docs specifically say that the default is set to '*'. The question is:
> does this matter? Should apps rely on this default value? I cannot think
> of an example where app will need to rely on specific character being
> default.
>
> Please advise...

Obviously, the Fedora patch is not a long-term solution, and it is
unfortunate that
it renders this aspect of the documentation incorrect. For 2.10, we should look
at adding a way to globally change the default, e.g. by adding a setting for it.

That being said, I cannot think of any reason why an application
should care about
the default value, as long as it hides the content of the entry. And
those applications
that do care (for whatever reason) can just set it explicitly.

Matthias