gtk-x11 on top of win32

To fully explain my problem I guess a bit of background is necessary:
There is a product which compiles for a variety of platforms including
but not limited to linux, solaris, freebsd, windows. I have been
working on some user interface issues using gtk+. In general the aim
of the exercise is to generate an application that is an X client.
Under the *NIX systems this was no problem since the default binding
of gtk+ is X11. The problem arose when trying to port the software on
Windows, where the default binding is win32. Does anyone has
experience with compiling gtk with x support (I suppose Xlib will be
necessary) on Windows? Solutions with both MinGW and Cygwin are
possible although the former is preferred.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Atanas