Re: Gtk+-2.0: First attempt

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 09:30:46PM +0200, David Ne?as (Yeti) wrote:

<snip>
> What you need is not installation of another version, but
> location and identification of everything you have already
> installed and *removal* of the extra/unneeded libs.
>
> Yeti

Indeed!

Well, I've been wiping my face and I think it was so red that some of
the egg has permanently adhered. :(

Turns out that I'd installed another gtk+ package and forgotten to
remove the old one, so yes I *did* have two of them installed.  And then
I went to look at glib: same thing.  I think I also forgot to do
ldconfig after installing them: they didn't show up in /var/log/packages
for whatever reason.

So, sez I, let's remove the older versions and leave the later versions.
Wrong!!!  Suddenly no gnome apps would work.  Chased after
libXfixes.so.3, found it and that fixed that, but then gnome games
wouldn't launch and there was a problem in the newer gtk+.

Out comes the CD, older versions installed, newer ones removed:
everything works.  *And*, so does the Gtk+-2.0 helloworld.

I'm one very embarrassed but happy camper: my apologies to all for what
I should have been able to puzzle out for myself.

Nevertheless, I do appreciate you guys for your willingness to help, and
I learned stuff in the bargain.

Thanks to all for your time and attention!!

Bill Tallman