Code migration.

Hello,

I've been writing a small application in gtk-1.2 that works fine as far
as I've gotten.  On a whim, I tried migrating this to gtk-2.0, and I
suspect I've found that the code will have to be rewritten, though to
what extent I'm unable to determine.

I'm running Slackware-10.0 and have gtk+-1.2.10 and gtk+-2.4.0 as part
of the distro.  I'm aware that 2.4.0 is now obsolete, but I guess I
would like to know just how bad could it be?

What I did was copy the code to a new directory, and replace the
`gtk-config ...` with `pkg-config ... gtk-2.0` in the Makefile.  That
works well enough to produce a rolling screen of problems before it
bails out.  The contents of the "rolling screen" start off with the
observation that certain gdk-pixpuf header files could not be found,
which I discovered existed but were '.hx' rather than '.h'.  Renaming
the files to '.h' got rid of that observation, but there issued a long
list of complaints about a function that was poorly coded, or something.

After running through the much longer list of complaints before bailout,
I decided to ask some questions before proceeding further:

1.  Code written for Gtk+-1.2 will, or will not, compile and run
correctly under Gtk-2.0.  y/n.

2.  Gtk+-2.4.0 is, or is not, usable for development.  y/n.

3.  Should I have to redefine a shell variable in order to get the 2.0
version to work?  y/n.  Running 'pkg-config' a la the tutorial gave me
what seemed to be a reasonable list of libraries, etc.

Absent any sort of assistance on my questions about Gtk+-1.2, I fear
I'll have to migrate this code in any case, whatever it takes.  I
intended to do that eventually, but would have preferred to produce both
versions, starting with 1.2.  In that regard, can someone steer me to a
venue where I can get questions about 1.2 answered?

Thanks for reading,

Bill Tallman