Re: Unable to install gtk2.8

By default the configure script installs the compiled versions in
/usr/local . But in order for this version to be found you have to set
the PKG_CONFIG_PATH as well:

   export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

You may also need to define:

  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

in order for your compiled versions to be picked up. Finally you may
have to add the following third variable:

   export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/local/share/aclocal"

though I am not sure this is needed.

For glib you don't have a problem since there are no dependencies. But
for the subsequent programs you compile your glib isn't found unless
you have set the variables above.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dov