RE: Compiles OK but get "0xC0000005: Access violation" when run

Thank all you for your pointers. I can now compile and run my executable.
The problem was that I couldn't find two of the *.lib files and had linked
some *.a files that I came with the DLLs instead. VC++ was happy to compile
and link with the other files,
so I assumed that this was OK. The dependency walker  application said that
the module was corrupted
or unrecognisable so I reviewed my thoughts on the *.a file.

I notice that atk-dev-1.10.3.zip doesn't contain a .lib file, but
atk-1.8.0.zip does.
I suspect (know) that there is some basic MS knowledge that I'm missing.
Perhaps
someone would be kind enough to explain to me the difference between the two
kinds of files, or more importantly how I am
meant to link to a DLL in VC++, if the zip file only contains a .dll and
.dll.a.
but no *.lib.
I suspect that this is basic stuff, but not obvious to unix-o-philes.

Regards
Brad Starkie