Help with window non-resizable/resizable windows please

Hey, i am just writing an app for myself. One part is that im writing a custom dialog box.
I am having a problem with setting the window as non-resizable and then resizing it.
Below is my snippet of code that does the resizing. I have spent hours trying to solve this
one my own, to no avail. The problem is that if its not resizable, it doesnt let me resize it
(with code). If i comment out the line
gtk_window_set_resizable(GTK_WINDOW(dialog), FALSE)
then it works fine. Would appreciate any input. Thank you
-Platima
Code:
    int dwidth, dheight;
    gtk_window_get_size(GTK_WINDOW(dialog), &dwidth, &dheight);
    if(dwidth < 175)
    {
        gtk_window_resize(GTK_WINDOW(dialog), 175, dheight);
    }
    gtk_window_set_resizable(GTK_WINDOW(dialog), FALSE);