GTK+ and framebuffers

I'm trying to build an GTK+ app (Firefox) on FC4 so that is uses the framebuffer. I've started down the road to get gtk-fb compiling but have run into issues within Mozilla. I thought at this point I'd ask to see if there is a supported build somewhere that will work. I saw directfb but wasn't able to figure out what the difference between it and gtk-fb was and where exactly it fit into the picture.

Also, when I get something compiled to use the framebuffer can I still use it on a system that is running X, as long as the proper libraries are there too? Oh, which reminds me, does anyone know of documents talking about how to map /dev/fb0 on FC4? My kernel appears to have it enabled but the device isn't mapped and I haven't found any docs to help yet.

Any suggestions on how to get an GTK+ app compiled to use the frame buffer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
redfive