Re: See-through container

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 15:18 -0800, David E. Konerding wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I previously posted a question about containers; specifically, i want to
> have a layout container in which drawing
> done to the parent window "shows through" layout where nothing is placed
> on the layout.  Here's an example of what's not working for me.
> The diagonal line is obscured by the inner_layout Layout container,
> although I am setting the back_pixmap for the Layout's window and
> bin_window to NULL, which is supposed to do what I want.  Anybody have
> any suggestions?

its a lot more complex than you think. i think.

X (and thus gdk) is fundamentally rooted in the idea of rectangular
windows, and somewhat less fundamentally rooted in them being basically
opaque. you can work around both using gdk_window_shape_combine_mask(),
but its not easy and may be more work than you want to do.

--p