Re: I have a problem with an undefined symbol

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 19:57:53 GMT, Adrian Victor CRISCIU said:
> I just installed gtk+-2.8.10 with all its dependencies (I compiled every one
> of them from source) and cannot run gtk-demo. It crashes with the following
> message:

Oddness.  I don't know for sure what the problem is, but it's quite strange
that you got gtk+ to build, but gtk-demo has issues.  Did you have to do
anything odd (setting $LDFLAGS, perhaps) to get gtk+ to build?

> gtk-demo: relocation error: /usr/local/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined
> symbol: g_object_compat_control

This looks like your libglib2.so has gone off for a vacation - possibly a
permissions problem (it's installed mode 600 rather than 644, or similar),
or other miscue.

If it's a Linux system, you might want to try 'ldd gtk-demo' and see what
shared library it's looking for and/or finding.  Also, this sort of thing
often clears up by re-running /sbin/ldconfig so the shared libraries can
be found...