Widget hide, free memory + £ sign

Two questions, if I may.
I have an application in which I need to have two widgets with some
interaction. Cancelling the second (a numeric pad) needs to cancel the
first. To effect this I can show the first (no gtk_main) and display the
second normally. Trouble is when I need to dispose of the first widget.
I can't destroy because there is no gtk_main. I can hide, but that does
not free memory. IS THERE AN ELEGANT WAY OF FREEING THE MEMORY OF A
HIDDEN WIDGET? Am I taking the wrong approach?
Q2. I cannot seem to display a £ (English pound sign) on screen. I have
tried a variety of ways but to no avail. Can anyone help.
Regards
Tom
--
Tom Knowles <tom peters co uk>