Re: MacOS X "native" port: How "native"?

On Sat, 2006-02-18 at 09:35 +0100, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> concerning the announced "native" port of GTK+ to MacOS X that won't require
> an X server anymore, I wonder how "native" it will be.

You already answered the question for yourself in that sentence.  Native
simply means no fink libraries or X11 required.  A gtk app would be
native in the sense that it could run from an app bundle without any
other requirements.

> One of the most important points are:
>
> Will GTK+ applications then have the menubar at the top of the screen?

Currently there are multiple ways of doing the menu.  Some place the
menu in a movable bar, others just place it in a vbox.  Also sub-windows
can have menus.  As far as I know, however, each of these different ways
of doing menus revolves around the GTK Menu widget and factory.  It is
conceivable that support could be hacked in.

In the short term the apps will look identical to the X11 apps, except
that they run without X11 (just like how GTK runs on windows), and with
optional mac-like theming.

> Will GTK+ applications then use the MacOS X system fonts for menus etc.?

On Windows, the GTK-WIMP theme picks up the system colors and fonts and
uses them.  I imagine that at some point a native-look-alike theme will
be developed that will set the GTK fonts to match OS X.

This brings up another point.  Does Pango and GTK on OS X use the OS X
fonts subsystem (softer font rendering and anti-aliasing) or does it
still use FreeType?  I'd prefer the OS X fonts subsystem, but Freetype
is okay too since it can be tuned to closely emulate OS X's style of
font drawing (shape, contrast and anti-aliasing).

Michael