Re: Gtk on MAC OS X

Calvin,

Building a Mac applications is rather different than building a *NIX executable. I personally keep things simple by building in the regular *NIX  manner into /usr/local. If you continue to have have problems building gtk+ see my build at < http://www.hmug.org/pub/MacOS_X/X/Libraries/Graphics/gtk+2/> to see all the prerequisites I needed for the build.

If you build Apple style, you can't count on a given installation path, since users may drag your .app just about anywhere. However, Darwin style dynamic libaries (do an otool -L, a.k.a. ldd on Linux) do include an absolute path (which can be later edited to be a relative path). I have seen a number of application builds that have managed to get around this issue.

One example of what you are interested in may be found at < http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/>. This is a self contained .app version of the Gimp, with all of gtk+, etc. included.

Regardless how you install the app, until there is a completed Cocao front end for gtk+, the user will have to install X11 on their Mac.