glib suggestions

A few glib suggestions:

1. basename(3) don't accept the suffix removal as does the basename(1).
I have written/cloned basenamesuffix(3) but would like to have one in glib
if not available elsewhere.

2. I have written/cloned date(3) which is equivalent to date(1).
Note that strftime(3) does something similar, but if I remember
correctly, the reason for date(3) was the following use:

 sprintf(s,"%i day",daynumber);
 t = date(s,"%d%m");   // date(t,s,"%d%m") could be of better style

strftime(3) may require exhausting computation for achieving the same.

3. Equivalent for "mkdir -p" or "mkdirhier".

Juhana