Re: GTK is double buffered by default ? on GNU/Linux and MS Windows ?

--- KLEIN Stéphane <klein stephane gmail com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I use Ubuntu system. I've showed gnome and Gimp to one friend. This friend
> use MS Windows since always.
>
> He say : "I dislike Linux, Ubuntu, Gnome, Gimp ... because the GUI display
> scintillate. This also for Gimp MS Windows version".
>
> He say : "First, I see the window draw, next the background draw of
> button...". On the contrary, MS Windows application display all widget in
> one step."
>
> I don't know if you understand my subject.
>
> My question : is there double buffering render in GTK ? If yes, why my
> friend think than Windows display is faster than GTK and other widget
> toolkit ? If not, why that ?
>
> Thanks for your response.
> --Stéphane

For startes, Windows graphics system is not network-aware,
unlike X.

This makes it necessary to use VNC, RDP and friends to
access remote desktop on Windows, but makes graphics system
faster when local access is in place.

With X you have built-in network accessibility, but,
as far as I know, it's one of the factors making it
slower.

OpenGL should provide fast X graphics.

--Sergei.

Applications From Scratch: http://appsfromscratch.berlios.de/