Re: gtk

On Aug 7, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Tor Lillqvist wrote:
Bill Cunningham writes:
pkg-config doesn't help me much. I'm not quite sure how to use it. I
know there is the PKG_CONFIG variable. Do you set that in
bash_profile ? I
must confess I can't figure out how to use the package.

You don't really use pkg-config directly; the configure scripts for
what you're installing use it.  You merely provide some external
direction for it.

Basic idea:  packages provided pkg-config files (for example, gtk
+-2.0.pc).  These files tell pkg-config how to tell the build system
for another package how to build and link against the first package.
Now, to find those files, pkg-config must know where they are.
They're installed to $PREFIX/pkgconfig by packages.  So, if glib is
installed in /opt/gtk2, and you want to link GTK against that glib,
you'd run GTK's configure script like so:

$ PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/opt/gtk2/lib/pkgconfig:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH" ./
configure <configure args as normal>

thereby setting the environment variable on the command line.
Optionally, you can set it in your .bashrc, .bash_profile, or
whatever the initialization script for your shell is.

- Michael

P.S.  Hit Reply to All rather than Reply to keep the discussion on
the list and avoid the problem Tor's brought to your attention.