Windows GTK hang 'not responding'

	Hi,

I have a strange bug I'm trying to track down. I've been able to determine that the program is not hanging in itself, it's the window that just 'freezes'. The program I have has a 'telnet' mode, and I am able to telnet to the program even when the GTK window has 'hung'. When I enter a command, the window 'unfreezes'. This is using GLib 2.10.1 and GTK 2.8.17 DLLs run from a 'standalone' environment, i.e. PATH set to include the relevant DLLs etc. The error still occurs using GTK 2.8.9 (the latest Windows installer) and also on GTK 2.6.10 (Windows). Has anyone else had that sort of thing happen or have any idea as to why it's happening? Trying to get a 'hang' dump of my program only reveals it's waiting in the select(), or in a sleep. My program was originally written without an interface (apart from telnet) but I added the GTK interface and call this code in a function:

  while(gtk_events_pending()) {
    gtk_main_iteration_do(FALSE);
  }

at intervals around 20milliseconds apart. As far as I know, that should be sufficient. The same program run under Debian Sarge Linux (GTK 2.6.9) runs flawlessly and can record for hours with no problems. Rewriting things to use 'gtk_main' with a timeout function is not an option, given the fact I need accurate timing and the ability to process a lot of data via UDP sockets, so the network and recording comes first and the UI second. I'm using the multimedia timers in Windows so it's at least down to 1 millisecond accuracy in timing instead of 15. Not as good as to the microsecond in Linux, but there you go.

	Any help or hints would be very appreciated.

	Thanks,

	Derek

--
Derek Piper - dcpiper indiana edu - (812) 856 0111
IRI 323, School of Informatics