how to update window content?

Hello all
I want to write a program in which i click on a button and user can see a string moving from from left to right like marquee in HTML.... for that in call back to the button i m using sleep () function and i am drawing string again after sleep () at a different location but thats not being updated i mean i am not getting anything like marquee rather i am getting just last content updated string ....so is there any way to update screen content??? some function for that... like we have one in java repaint ()....
its urgent...
Thanks and Regards