rules-hint default?

I noticed a while ago in
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkTreeView.html#gtk-tree-view-set-rules-hint:

Some themes will draw tree rows in alternating colors even when rules
are turned off, and users who prefer that appearance all the time can
choose those themes.

OK, where do I sign up?  I haven't yet found a theme that will do this,
and I've discovered that only "style properties" can be set in gtkrc.  I
like my current theme, and I'm very confused as to how this actually
works.  "allow-rules" is a style property, but what I would like is
"force-rules".  "rules-hint" itself cannot apparently be set in gtkrc,
which I suppose is quite sensible.  Anyway, I've been trying to Google
for this, and I'm totally lost.  If anybody has some insight, I'd be
grateful.