GtkTextTag behaviour of TextView Widget

L.S.,

Using gtk+ 2.6.8 on WIN32, I noticed following using
the textview widget and applied tags.

Microsoft Word does following:

When I move the cursor to a point just after applied markup A,
when I type a character it will take the same markup A.
When I use backspace, it takes over the markup of the last
deleted character. So suppose I've got text with markup like

AAAAABBCC

and my cursor is at C, I do a backspace: I will still have
markup C.  Using the delete key does the same in inverse
direction.

gtk text view doesn't work like that. Is this deliberate
behaviour? Word behaviour seems quite intuitive to me.

Is this a bug or a feature?

best regards,

Hans