Re: Constructor Properties in GObject

Matthew F. Barnes wrote:
I have a GObject question that I hope someone can help me with.  I
imagine this has been asked before, but a quick search of the
mailing-list archives didn't turn up any answers.

Regarding a GObject's constructor properties, is there a mechanism in
GObject or a generally accepted idiom for *requiring* certain properties
to be supplied at object construction?

There is no built-in support for that in GObject.

It is general practice is to write a function like:

   my_object_new (Required *param1, Required *param2)
   {
       MyObject *obj;
       g_return_val_if_fail (param1 != NULL, NULL);
       /* ... */
       obj = g_object_new (MY_TYPE_OBJECT,
                           "p1", param1,
                           "p2", param2, NULL);
       /* ... */
       return obj;
   }

But that aproach doesnt bar public access to
g_object_new () ofcourse.

Cheers,
                            -Tristan