Re: Well, at least i can compile some GTK+ apps - part 2

jalkadir gosonic ca writes:
 > After the compilation MSW kept asking me for missing dlls, I
 > eventually got them all. However, now MSW gives me a popup message
 > saying:

"MSW"? Say "Windows" if that's what you mean. Or say "XP" if that is
the version you mean in particular.

 > > The procedure entry point XML_SetDoctypeDedHandler could not be
 > > located in the dynamic link library xmlparse.dll

 > > What can I do to fix this problem?

xmlparse.dll is the other one of the DLLs in the expat library's Win32
binary as distributed from ftp.jclark.com/pub/xml/expat.zip (the other
one is xmltok.dll). There apparently are several different versions of
xmlparse.dll floating around, or perhaps even a totally unrelated DLL
with the same name?

Presumably one of those has been installed in your Windows system32
folder by some broken software (*nothing* other than what is shipped
with Windows should be installed in the system32 folder).

Remove xmlparse.dll from the system32 folder, so that the one you got
with GIMP gets used instead.

BTW, on my machine, I seem to have a version of expat where the DLL in
question is called "libexpat.dll". I don't recall right now where I
got that from, or whether I built it myself.

This kind of confusion is not uncommon in the world of Free and Open
Source software for Win32. They typically occur when the "official"
way to build for Win32 is with MSVC and the package's official sources
provide MSVC makefiles that produce a certain DLL, but if you build
using autofoo and libtool instead you get another name. Then different
people distribute binaries built in the two (or even more)
ways. Well-known cases are gettext-runtime (intl.dll vs. libintl3.dll)
and libiconv (iconv.dll vs. some libiconv*.dll.)

--tml