Gtk-1.2.10 Crash with combo listbox

Hi all,

I wrote an application last week using Glade (FWIW) and it
all works fine except for one small but important detail.

First, I realize that 1.2.10 is old but it is the latest
available for this platform, OpenVMS 7.1-2.

The problem: it seems that the *first* time the combo list
box is dropped down such that the bottom of the box would
reach the bottom of the screen, then the app crashes,
disappears without any trace or comments in the window
it was launched from.
If there are insufficient items in the list the first time
it is dropped to reach the bottom of the screen, then it
works correctly and continues to do so from then on whether
the window is moved such that it would hit the bottom of
the screen or not.
So it appears to be an initialisation problem somewhere.

I can easily reproduce the problem on OpenVMS by modifying
the testgtk program which comes with the sources, so I'm
sure it is not an error in my application's code.
I can not reproduce the effect using SuSE Linux 7.3 with
the same version of Gtk.

It is probably therefore OpenVMS specific, but just in
case, has anyone else seen anything like this before?
Google came up with nothing useful.

The Gtk suite was compiled by our sysop so it is not
possible for me to debug it easily, but I can get him
to patch the code if there is a known solution.

Thanks,
Dave