Stuck inside button click callback

Hey there folks,

I'm new to this list, and tried to search for similar questions, but
couldn't find anything (actually I was not quite sure how to search
for this :)), so sorry if this has been answered here before.
As a matter of fact, I'm a GTK newbie, and this is my first try. I'm
trying to create a GUI with some buttons, text entry fields and a
progress bar. When the user clicks the Run button, I want to make
everything in the window uneditable and unclickable while processing
is taking place, while I update the progress bar. The problem is that
when I click the run button, the callback attached is called, and it
seems the window only gets refreshed when the callback function
finishes running, i. e., the button remains clicked through all the
processing, and when it comes back, the progress bar is already at
100%. I would like to know how to make the window immediately reflect
the changes I make to the other widgets while inside the button click
callback.
I really appreciate your help.

Fabio